Residences in the British Isles

St. Joseph's, Ashurst, Southampton

St Joseph's, AshurstSt. Joseph's, Ashurst, began life as the Novitiate house for the newly-erected Province in 1942, so most of the younger members of the Province have spent their first year of Religious Formation there. Today it is a Pastoral Centre, "St Joseph's Centre for Prayer and Missionary Outreach", run mainly by a group of lay volunteers with the collaboration of the Montfort Missionaries, and one of its main purposes is the training and ongoing formation of missionaries, both lay and religious. Situated on the edge of the New Forest in Hampshire, it provides an oasis of calm for reflection and prayer.

St Joseph's Centre has its own Web pages here.


27 St Gabriel's Road, Cricklewood

CricklewoodOnce again the Provincial Residence, the house in Cricklewood provides a pied à terre for members of the Province visiting London, and is also home to two confreres who engage in a variety of helping and counselling ministries.


Montfort House, Blundellsands, Liverpool

Montfort House, LiverpoolMontfort House, Liverpool, was one of the earliest missionary residences of the Montfort Missionaries in England. Opened in 1948, it was for many years, not only a residence for a team of itinerant mission preachers, but the centre for the publication of the magazine 'Queen and Mother', which was published by the Company of Mary from 1938 until 1972. As well as helping in a number of parishes in the area, the confreres who live there act as chaplains to a number of Convents in the area. Montfort House is also the centre for the Montfortian Associates and especially for the Association 'Mary Queen of All Hearts'. Both Montfort House and its neighbour, "Sandymount", are close to the estuary of the River Mersey, where such fine sunsets can be seen.


"Sandymount", Blundellsands, Liverpool

Sandymount, LiverpoolNext door to Montfort House in Liverpool, is "Sandymount", which was acquired by the Company of Mary in the early 1960s. It was the Provincial residence for a time, then became a Retreat House, which it remained for many years. Today it is run on behalf of the Montfort Missionaries, by a group of lay-people, as a House of Prayer, where individuals and groups can come to make retreats, to pray, to have some quiet time, to receive formation, etc. Its proximity to the sea-coast is much appreciated by its visitors.